If I were to ask you, women… How many times a day do you look at your face and body in the mirror? what would your answer be? I start: I do it many times, during the day and even before going to sleep, when I brush my teeth; let’s say that, on average, I look at myself in the mirror more than 20 times.
Now, I have another question for you… How many times have you seen your vulva with a mirror? You might think many things, that I talk too much, that I always make so many things up, that “why should I look at it?”, but the truth is that, personally, I have seen it many times, out of curiosity, because we are getting older together, because it is part of my life and because I have nothing to be ashamed of.
So, if you have not done it, do it, look at your vulva with a mirror, know it in detail, but above all respect it, because it has not only helped you to identify yourself as a woman, it has also given you a lot of pleasure and, the pro is that the more you know it, the more you will enjoy.
Every woman has a vulva different in shape, size, color, among other dimensions that make us unique and special. If you compare your vulva with another woman’s, you are wasting your time, yours was designed exclusively for you, it is your trademark.
Some studies indicate that there are about eight types of vulvas (not vaginas). Now that we are at it, today we are going to differentiate and clarify some #sinrecato concepts. The vagina is one of the main organs of the female reproductive system, it is a structure in the form of a muscular-mucosal duct that goes from the entrance of the vulva to the uterus. It is multifunctional because it receives the penis during sexual intercourse and is where babies come out of when they are born.
In summary, the vagina is the internal structure and the vulva is the external part, which is accompanied by the mons pubis, clitoris, urethral opening, labia majora and labia minora.
Although the vagina and the vulva are not the same thing, it is very common for people to talk about the first referring, as a whole, to the second.
Now that we have clarified the concepts, let’s talk about the different types of vulva, taking into account that there are other types :
1. Barbie: This type of vulva with the appearance of a closed eye is characterized by being slightly narrow, because the labia majora are larger than the labia minora and, therefore, cover them.
Interestingly, it is one of the most common shapes and is considered to have a very aesthetic appearance. Hence its name because it resembles the shape of the Barbie doll’s vulva.
2. Horseshoe: It is characterized because the upper part of the labia minora is larger than the labia majora and these are a little further apart, which causes the innermost lip to be visible.
At the bottom, the labia majora are larger and cover the labia minora, making it resemble a horse shoe.
3. Swan: In this type of vulva, the labia minora are larger than the labia majora, meaning, the labia minora are more visible and the clitoris stands out because of its size.
4. Tulip: Like the Barbie one, this is a common type. It stands out because the labia minora protrude slightly in front of the labia majora, which simulates the petals of a tulip. In this case, the labia minora are covered.
5. Olympic flame: This vulva is compared to the Olympic flame, since the clitoris has a larger cap than the common one.
6. Butterfly: One of the most common types and is characterized by the labia minora protruding between the labia majora. It also simulates a curtain.
7. Tailed Gown: The labia minora are larger than the labia majora and cover a part of them. In this case, its size causes it to have folds and undulations and also does not completely cover the labia majora.
8. Inflated: It resembles the closed eye or Barbie shape, but the labia appear to be hanging or swollen, protruding slightly from the pubic bone.
As I have said, you cannot have two identical vulvas, and there are many aspects, asides from the appearance, that vary: the depth, some may be deeper than others; the age that, among others, affects the elasticity and lubrication; the color of the skin of the vulva, which varies greatly and depends on the genetics of each woman. According to doctors, there are four types of colors: wine, red, pink and burgundy.
And although, in the popular imagination, a vulva should be closed, with hidden lips, hairless, pink and without any imperfection, as the porn industry would make us believe, feel safe and happy because yours is unique and the first one to love it is you. In the end, the two of you are the ones that will enjoy your sexuality, together, until the end of your days.
Traducción del español: Catalina Oviedo Brugés